03 August 2010

I get these awful migraines. Today, I was out with my son buying some groceries and got sick. It's so ugly and just overcomes me. I can't think, and feel like I'm unable to draw a full breath. I have severe visual disturbances that scare me. My arm might go numb. Behind my eyes I feel a terrible sharp pain. Then I get nauseous, so I can't keep medications down. I've tried several different medications over the years and nothing is that helpful. I still have to suffer through hours (usually around 4) of severe pain.

I actually haven't had one in a good number of months. Today a wave of pain hit me out of nowhere and I had to sit down in the middle of a grocery isle and was scared I wouldn't be able to drive my son home. I made it home and my husband immediately had to take over everything so I could go in my room and burrow under pillows. I always try to go to sleep, mostly to escape the pain, but I end up getting too nauseous and have to get up. My doctor has no idea why this happens, especially because it is random. I've had migraines since I was a small girl. I remember coming home from school because of them in elementary school.

I have prayed for the burden of these headaches to be taken away from me before. But today remembered the saint who is honored on July 27th, my husband's birth day. I prayed to Saint Panteleimon, who I recently learned about. I am serious when I say that I was despairing because after almost three hours the skull-splitting pain had not abated, even though I took strong medicines. Labor pains were not as bad as my headaches. Then, I started praying to Saint Panteleimon. I re-read the story of his life aloud and sang the Apolytikion and Kontakion. Beth, my newly seven-year-old daughter, is the best caregiver for the sick in our household, and brought me a small icon of the Theotokos enthroned to hold as well. I pulled up the above picture of the wonder-working icon of Saint Panteleimon on my laptop and sat it next to me.

I was feeling a lot better within minutes.

Apolytikion
Panteleimon, saintly champion and healer,

intercede with our merciful God to grant our souls remission of sins.


Kontakion
O Champion and Martyr of God,

imitating the Merciful and bearing from Him the grace of healing,

cure our spiritual ills by your prayers,

and set free from the temptation of the eternal enemy,

those who ceaselessly cry out, "Save us, O Lord."
 
 

No comments: