24 August 2010

Help rebuild St. Nicholas Church!


The above photo is St. Nicholas Church moments before it was destroyed.

Read about St. Nicholas church here. This church must be rebuilt! Support it in whatever way you can, even if it's just spreading the word.

This isn't about the building of a mosque, which has been huge in media. This is about a church which should have already been rebuilt, before any new worship building is constructed. St. Nicholas's history of 91 years at the site deserves precedence.

2 comments:

David T said...

I agree--I think it best, if at all possible, to separate the issue of building the Mosque/center from that of rebuilding St. Nicholas Church. I will say, though, that part of me is thankful that the Mosque controversy has been a catalyst in having light shed on the delay in rebuilding the church...they've been waiting for a l o n g time now, but relatively few people outside NYC even knew about the delay; I sure didn't know about it till very recently.

discourse said...

I didn't hear about it, either. It's insanity that they have the money for the building but cannot rebuild the church.

I read a NYT article that quoted the Port Authority saying the authority agreed to accommodate a 24,000-square-foot church building just east of St. Nicholas’s original location on Cedar Street, and promised $20 million to subsidize construction. I hope the Greeks would have accepted an offer if it was so, but who knows what "just east" means. Being a stickler about the exact location seems silly.

I thought Bishop Andonios was fair with all the statements he made which I have seen. When he responded to the PA's claim, saying that the PA had cut off all contact with church officials, I believed it.

Sigh. It seems the PA has had bigger fish to fry.