22 August 2010

Chickens

I am going to get chickens, I think. Under 4. Just enough to provide us with eggs, but not too stinky or noisy because of our neighborhood. Surely, if our neighbors put up with goats they will put up with chickens.

First, I have to build a chicken tractor. I won't be buying one, since they are absurdly expensive for such a simple structure. I am a wee bit handy. My dad is a woodworker, and I helped him out all the time in his shop as a kid. If I run into a really confusing problem I can call him and I know he'll have a simple answer.

I have looked extensively at plans for a coop. The tractor, which is moveable seems extremely advantageous for the small scale chicken owner. I don't want to do wheels, as the plans I have seen with wheels are more complicated than I have the tools/time for. Instead, I want to build a tractor with lifting handles. If I get lightweight wood the weight should be manageable, and if it's a little heavy (which as small as I'm thinking it should not be) my son or husband can help me move it. I read the tractor should be moved every two or three days, and can be left up to a week if you're ok with the chickens scratching to bare ground, like in a garden. They're like natural tillers! Not to mention fertilizers. They also eat unwanted pests like grubs and snails and the like.

Anyway, I am inclined to try to build a triangular tractor, with a run in the middle and a nesting box and roost on one side, with hinged access for collecting eggs. The other side

(think ---nesting box>/\--run--/\<---feeder cover)

will have the water and feeder inside in order to keep them dry. The feeder side will need hinged access as well, and I have seen a hinged door on the run for access to the chickens as well which I think is a good idea. I had hens growing up and they are stubborn, so if we need to catch one the access door would be helpful.

If all goes as planned, we should have chickens within a few months. This plan might be aborted till spring if something else comes up or I need to focus on school...we'll see. I have a friend who has chickens and is helping me figure out what type of chicken does best here in the south.

1 comment:

Steve Robinson said...

Chickens are cool. We've thought about getting some too. A priest friend of ours has about 15 of them in his back yard in a pretty simple setup. Post pictures of the "tractor" when you get it built.