I really don't know what it means to be an intelligent person. One day I think it means this or that, the next I haven't the faintest idea. I don't even think it matters much if you are or aren't.
Is an intelligent person well-read, book smart, has traveled, knows-so-and-so (who knows-so-and-so), has gone to college, knows good beer and wine, etc, or is an intelligent person he or she who knows people, hasn't read much but has so much experience with actual life living that book snob's repertoire pales in comparison, has dirt-worn sun-worn everything, drinks beer and cheap beer, and doesn't give a flippin' hoot about "Hollywood"?
I am most endeared to people who are hard working, in whatever fashion. It's the weathered old man on the side of the road selling tomatoes, who knows dark, black muck Ohio farming, fly fishing, breaking horses, raising barns, has milked his share of livestock, can drive a nail straight in one hit, knows what language the sky talks when it's about to storm... it's that intelligence that I can most understand. My great grandfather was that type of man, and he was a great man. He died when I was eleven, but his impression upon my life was strong and lasting. I am still drawn to people that have lived close to the earth. It's the sort of thing you know you know, it's in your bones and in your breath. It's not intelligence in the sense that it is something that automatically makes you smart or knowledgable. But it's real. There's a difference between working the earth and living on it.
There's another facet of hard worker, and that is the sort of person that does the best with what they have. Maybe they didn't finish high school, or they dropped out of college. Public education is not the save all. Gosh, that's hit me hard. I thought you went to college and grew up and got smarter all in one go. I thought those with a college education were gonna go out and be great people. Intelligent people, if you will. There's another kind of intelligence, the kind that comes from tough experience and spoiled fantasies. The kind of smarts that keep what matters close and learn to pick and choose just like that old man whose callused hand knows the feel of a ripe tomato without looking. When a person looks at the world and understands good and evil, through whatever glasses they look, and resolves to work for good and against evil, they're intelligent in my book. Even if it's just I did my duty or I raised my kids up or I stood up for what is right. If they choose the Church over the world, one better.
Then we have the people who go to college, are smart, coast through. They have money, affluence, nice everything. They don't have to work too hard to get anything. Their parents were great. Still are. Their families are old and held together by dollars. I'm not saying this type is always stuck up and spoiled, but they can't understand the hard earned man's intelligence just as he can't understand theirs.
I think society is much to blame. There are stereotypes and rank systems that I cannot begin to detangle or explain. I just wish there was a happy medium. Sounds like some can't we just get along and love eachother hippie BS, doesn't it? Not exactly what I mean.
I do not consider myself an intelligent person. I am gaining knowledge in a lot of areas, but I don't desire to describe or credit myself as "smart". If anything, I'm stupid. I don't know television characters of shows. I haven't finished college. I grew up poor and unchurched. But I can mesh pretty well with people that aren't like me.
It sounds assinine and arrogant, but I think I know life pretty well. I understand it. I'd rather I understood than that I was polished and presentable. Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy upon me.
A sinner!
No comments:
Post a Comment