18 June 2009

Freebirthing

A show on DHC caught my eye as I was walking the baby to sleep. It's called "Freebirthing", and the description of the show is "Women opting to have babies without drugs, midwives, or medical support". It's interesting to me, even though I haven't given birth at home.

Home birth is great. I very much agree with it, and think it's not a bad thing at all. I have two beautiful nieces that were birthed at home, and it was a rewarding and wonderful experience for their mum. One came before the midwife even arrived. However, there were no complications, the babies were full term, etc. I don't think that home birth is for everyone...especially those whose babies will require more care. Also, women with problematic pregnancies shouldn't risk it, in my humble opinion.

The show on DHC is toting a party line, all about having unassisted childbirth (no midwife even), and the most often repeated line is that they're doing this to have pain-free, laughter filled childbirth. Several of the women they spotlighted are completely opting out of any medical "intervention". That not only means no drugs or anything during childbirth, but also no prenatal care. I really think the latter part is insane. Why wouldn't you have prenatal care when it's available to you? Women should never have to have any test done against their will, but an experienced medical professional examining you, and your baby...I just think it's something we have and should take advantage of. Not that it's going to make the pregnancy perfect, but why not? And having a midwife is something I think is essential as well. For first babies, at least!

The thing I do agree with is the natural birth. And women need to know the facts, instead of just following the advice of their doctor without any thoughts of their own. My first child was born in a hospital. I was terrified, told all sorts of things that were very unhelpful by the staff, and the birth was long and hard. My first birth was induced a week early with Pitocin. After having my second child, I'd never induce again unless absolutely necessary. Having my second only two hours after arriving at the hospital, without drugs or any intervention, I know it's better. I am sure I would have been fine staying at home, because my pregnancy was problem-free, and my baby was full term and healthy. I was told all kinds of things with my first pregnancy that I just politely did not listen to with my second. With my first I was told my baby was too big, and I was too small. I was told I would probably need a c-section. It seems to be a disclaimer in the hospital and with doctors not used to natural birth. My husband and I chose to have our child in the hospital in case something went wrong. But we insisted on our wishes being of foremost importance. We chose a hospital that advocated natural childbirth.

A woman on the show gave labor at home, and one thing she said afterwards stands out, "My labor was pain-free. Really, because I was comfortable, it was quiet, there was no one I didn't know coming in. I knew what was going to happen, and I did not work against it. Pain comes when you work against what your body is supposed to be doing. Women scream and thrash during labor when they are scared. If you know what each stage of labor is like, and what it involves, you understand how this is all OK, it's all something normal and natural. It is not pain you experience then, it is childbirth. And yes, I was laughing. Bringing forth a life is a reason to laugh."

Of course there is all this natural talk but then the commercials between are all about the benefits of formula. There are too many mixed messages in this world.

No comments: