22 September 2011

radical thoughts

I suppose the thing I am about to write is radical to some (but of the barely ten people I know of read this blog...maybe some will agree). I have recently had to have a check-up most women have 6 weeks after their baby is born. I've been through this before, and they always ask if you need to start birth control for family planning. Usually, they recommend the pill. 


I've shared what I've come to know about this before. A few years ago, I had no idea what birth control pills actually did. If you read the insert of any type of hormonal birth control, you'll see three ways listed in which pregnancy is avoided. Usually, the inserts say something along these lines: The pill effects hormones so a woman does not ovulate. A woman cannot get pregnant if she doesn't ovulate because there is no egg to be fertilized. The pill also works by thickening the mucus around the cervix, which makes it difficult for sperm to enter the uterus and reach any eggs that may have been released. The hormones in the pill can also sometimes affect the lining of the uterus, making it difficult for an egg to attach to the wall of the uterus. It's this third part I take issue with, and it's the part I have noticed gets the least amount of press. We don't want to hear this, and take into account what it really means is possible.


If you believe life begins at conception, and profess it, then you might want to look closer. If a fertilized egg is life, because that is conception, then an insufficient uterine lining disallowing a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus and thrive does what?


Pro-life and pro-the pill? Not possible. Does "sometimes" really matter? Yup. 

2 comments:

Lara M. Carvin said...

I am totally pro-life (cause really the opposite is pro-death) but I dont know how I feel about the pill. Yes, the pill is against the Church but shouldn't compromises be allowed? Even married couples don't want to have fifteen kids as a product of their sex. And an absolute line would mean no condoms either since it is birth control also. It's a hard line to draw in my opinion.

discourse said...

Lara, most women don't even know the possibility of a miscarriage caused by the pill.

"Compromises" are allowed in the Orthodox Church, it is the Roman Catholic Church (well, some of them) who teaches that even condoms are wrong. I know some ladies whose priests are fine with the use of the pill. Others advise family planning only. There's no hard and fast rule (that I am aware of).

I am not talking about not using any type of birth control, I am talking about the largely unknown and very possible effects of hormonal birth control. Condoms do not cause abortion, therefore they are not what I am referring to. The pill, patch, shot, ring or implant are what I am concerned about-barrier methods like condoms do not keep a life from thriving.

I have no judgement for others in their choice. I know many women who use hormonal birth control. It is a choice we each must make and I have made an informed decision not to use any method that ends life. It is easier to stay politically correct and not mention murder, but I think if I use hormonal birth control, and are conscious of the abortive properties, I am killing my children. God forgive me, Lord have mercy on me. It's a hard line but one I'm ready to draw, and don't plan to cross.

Thanks for reading my blog. Feel free to comment anytime...I hope I helped clarify my points.