21 April 2011

Pascha preparations, kitchen-wise

Today the Pascha cookery began. First, Elijah and I made a lot of hard boiled eggs. Then, using the egg wraps my godmother gave us, we slipped each egg in a wrap, and dipped it in boiling water for a few seconds. What a great and easy way to make these beauties!




I've also had fun trying a new recipe for Scotch eggs.

This was labor intensive. Once I found a rhythm with the wrapping in sausage, frying, and baking it was easier. I had a few of these last year at the feast and with typical pregnant woman obsession I locked into the idea of making them.

I looked over a few recipes before I started. Hard boiling the eggs only until a few minutes after the water boils seems to keep the eggs from being overcooked. This one has the most important tips and tricks, like the chilling between steps which makes everything easier. I fried the breaded eggs, though, for a few minutes in vegetable oil, and then cooked them in the oven for 10 minutes to make sure the sausage inside was fully cooked.

The result? Delectable. These are delicious, and while they take a while to make (it took me 2 hours to cook 20, which since they are halved before servings equals 40) , I think it's worth it a few times a year. Especially with a little mustard...

No comments: