26 February 2011

I miss the things that are cold and rough.

Remember?
Pale ice on the sidewalks teaching you slow, steady, 
snow down as soon as you clear it away-
two paces and the frozen gravel is shrouded again.
You learn to measure each stroke,
careful not to strip 
the gravel drive.

not mud
not dripping
nor flat cement stretching
itself over all the earth in every direction, in every thought
slithering with trails of dank slush:
in its place
show me a field of corn stubble.

Show me a cow whose flared nostrils
leave a cloud of ashen smoke.
Or give me deep summer, even black Ohio muck,
I'm not afraid to sink
now.

Great-grandfather Ashley Reed in coveralls
and the hat Gran Olive knitted
starts creeping hitch-trudge, hitch-trudge
to the hen-house in his old, gray skin,
and I've already darted beneath the heavy boughs
of the old willow where he cuts our switches.
Not to hide,
no, Ashley's no old man winter,
his quick eyes move, younger than me,
to seek and wink. Eyes that have lost their color,
now so pale blue; you see
a stretch of snow in the evening,
an encroaching quiet.
"Expecting a storm, child,
come inside." An ancient sandpaper hand
encloses mine-
rough and cold. 

When the wheelchair ramp goes in,
I slide down it, but keep waiting
for Grandfather to be standing at the door
telling me how to improve, 
but he's inside with a flock of nurses

and I only know the chill,
deadly as she can be.

Now Memphis
is stone cold and statuesque,
dotted with Roman pillars
holding up churches. Holy places
reflecting homeless
vagabonds with apathetic eyes.

I see geese wheeling overhead
and am perplexed. Childhood left me
sure they flew down here, yet they move on.

You can call it solidarity,
but I swear their formation
was superior in an Ohio sky.


No comments: