Been awhile since I got a poem up on a Friday. I remembered lately my teen love of Bukowski, reading his work in a bookstore in Vegas, from a book I didn't intend to buy because he's not that good. Then I'd slide the book back onto the shelf with it's expensive sticker and go to work. Work was a tiny Italian restaurant where I worked shoulder to shoulder with a really excellent Mexican family who invited me to dinner all the time. They came across the border illegally, and were paid in cash. They were authentic and tough. Man, I miss those people. They made me BBQ when I came over the first few times because, as the head cook Victor said, "Americans eat this." I am from the north and didn't know much about BBQ at that point, and I laughed so hard. I miss the smell of pizza sauce and dough from scratch and the warmth of the huge pizza oven at the restuarant. The owner was trying to expand, maybe get a store in one of the casinos, and he was Italian and came around every few months to wax on about his big Italian family and yell at us for not chopping the chopped antipasto fine enough. It was fun, the rush and bustle of the place pulled you in. It was always busy, so busy, and smells to die for. I even miss the red checkered table cloths that constantly hovered on the edges of my vision.
Bukowski fit into that cynical time in my life, at 17, largely alone in Las Vegas and riding the bus every day because I couldn't afford a car. Anyway, here's a short one.
splash
the illusion is that you are simply
reading this poem.
the reality is that this is
more than a
poem.
this is a beggar's knife.
this is a tulip.
this is a soldier marching
through Madrid.
this is you on your
death bed.
this is Li Po laughing
underground.
this is not a god-damned
poem.
this is a horse asleep.
a butterfly in
your brain.
this is the devil's
circus.
you are not reading this
on a page.
the page is reading
you.
feel it?
it's like a cobra. it's a hungry eagle circling the room.
this is not a poem. poems are dull,
they make you sleep.
these words force you
to a new
madness.
you have been blessed, you have been pushed into a
blinding area of
light.
the elephant dreams
with you
now.
the curve of space
bends and
laughs.
you can die now.
you can die now as
people were meant to
die:
great,
victorious,
hearing the music,
being the music,
roaring,
roaring,
roaring.
Charles Bukowski
No comments:
Post a Comment