11 October 2010

update

*edited after reading over. Sinus infection equaled statements such as "we are not mold" and "this recipe is fast friendly" when clearly it is not fast friendly. Edited

Sociology is really quite boring. I can't stand it, honestly. Especially the parts that relate to teaching children. I've homeschooled. I've been homeschooled. Reading that the best positive socialization a child receives-and the most important-is in his or her peer group AT SCHOOL just makes me want to giggle. It's all well and good until you remember that we are all individuals and do not all fit in some theory or mould. And schools here (I cannot speak for other countries or societies) are often terrible environments to boot. It's probably the most tedious set of courses I will take in teacher education, especially coming from my background. Granted, I admire some of the viewpoints and theories proposed by sociologists, but I certainly wouldn't want to be them and only have such theories as my legacy.

Moving on, that's school and it's less than interesting. Concerning faith, we were enrolled as catechumens 2 weeks ago and I hope to learn more than a lot in the next year or so before we are chrismated. Thank God for our godparents and especially our children's godparents, and for our priests.

I am missing homeschooling but there are extenuating circumstances which lead to me state positively that my older kids are in a great school with great teachers and are at a great advantage in their personal lives as well. Their high marks make me insanely proud and their teachers have commended me on how well they've been taught. I have plenty of time to spend with my little ones and that is also terrific. Elijah and I are working on preschool skills. He has absolutely no interest in the alphabet or letter sounds (groaning and fussing when I bring out anything to do with reading), so we are taking a break from letters, and looking at colors, numbers, thinking skills, and playing in the dirt (his favorite activity).

I made Irish soda bread recently for a sweet baby boy's baptism and it is FANTASTIC, and also can be made fast friendly. Yum! Here is the recipe (add raisins for extra drool-worthiness!):

Irish Soda Bread


Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups unbleached flour, plus extra for dusting

1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups buttermilk (pour 1 tbsp + 1 tsp vinegar in a measuring cup; add enough milk to equal 1 1/4 cups)



1. Sift the flours, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until evenlt dipersed.

2. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour to form a softm crumbly dough.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly until smooth, up to 3 minutes.

4. Shape into a flattened round, about 6 in. across and 2 in. thick. Dust w/ flour. Cut a slash 1 in. deep across the top, then another to form an X.

5. Bake in preheated oven at 400Ffor about 35 minutes, until hollow sounding when tapped underneath. Cover w/ dish towel, then cool on a wire rack.

No comments: