Just thinking about my patron.
I'd like to be present at a Divine Liturgy that used the Liturgy of St. James. I have read that it was actually written by St. Cyril of Jerusalem, and while originally used in Jerusalem and Antioch before being replaced by the Liturgy of Sts. Basil and Chrysostom, it is used today primarily in Oriental churches, and only occasionally in Eastern churches. The Liturgy of St. James is, however, referred to as being one of the three Antiochene liturgies. I'd love to hear it, if I could find an Eastern church using it. Is this more common that I have read?
Also, I find conflicting arguments about who St. James actually is. He is conclusively NOT St. James the Greater, but some say he is the Less, AND the brother of the Lord, some differentiate and claim that St. James the Less and St. James the Brother are two different persons. At some point, the blurring doesn't matter too much, I suppose. I recently read about St. Parascheva (Romania, Serbia) and there were at least three different women saints in the Eastern Tradition called St. Parascheva and the third's relics are the ones specifically venerated in the Metropolitan's Cathedral Iasi. I suppose that each perhaps had their patron saint's name as their name, and therefore because of their relationship it makes perfect sense to confuse them at times. This writing from Hegesippus is interesting.
Pray for me.
3 comments:
You need a trip to Jerusalem :)
Right, that sounds great. So...you own an airline and motel chain? :)
I, too, would love to be present at that Liturgy. As an Episcopalian, I always loved the communion hymn "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence," the text of which, if I remember correctly, was a paraphrase of a section of the Liturgy of St. James.
Post a Comment