31 July 2010

paraklesis

I attended (for twenty minutes or so before the kids shut down--it was nap time and we'd already been to hours) my first paraklesis yesterday. I had no idea what the service entailed, and finally got an answer from my soon-to-be godfather (so pleased!). He is a young priest but already very knowledgeable. His manner in answering my questions about things Orthodox has been the best I've encountered. Just "This is how it is", instead of "Ooh, lookie what I know about this and that and also I could go on about this part and how I piously do it". It's refreshing and helpful, and Father N. has also answered my children's questions and corrected them gently. He came to pray for Elijah when he split his head a week ago, and patiently endured Eli's sucker pieces falling on the epitrachelion. I was a bit embarrassed when Eli conceded, "I don't like that cross," but Father N., simply replied, "I'll wear the other one next time and we will see if you like that one."

I did protest, "Next time?!" because I am not ready for lacerations and blood and staples again yet. I'd rather never do it again. That was the first time I have taken any of my kids to the emergency room...it was not fun. 

Back to paraklesis. I have yet to figure out in which way we venerate the larger, prominently placed icon of the Theotokos during Dormition, but that'll come, I suppose, with time. The liturgy is beautiful and I hope to make it through a whole one soon. I was blessed to hear Father N. and his sweet wife Kh. Jeanette singing together.

Kh. Jeanette is due to have her second child within days and I'd apprectiate your prayers for her.

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

3 comments:

caitlyn said...

usually we make a prostration before venerating the large icon on the solea.

i love the paraklesis service!

Ranger said...

I guess this means our children will be God-cousins.

discourse said...

Thanks, Caitlyn.

Ranger, looked at your profile. I just finished reading A Wind in the Door. Literally, five minutes ago.

Who are you?