I am going to start a new post series called, "A List of Reasons Why Going to School Online is Splendid."
Oh, critics, hold your mighty tongues! Before you chastise me for not taking the ordinary college route (traditional brick and mortar campus), please remember the following things: I researched for months the school I chose, I talked to folks at the department of education for the state of TN, and to graduates of the college, and I spoke with potential school systems where I'd likely end up teaching to see if they had any applicants-and if they'd accepted those applicants- from the online school I chose. I called councils on higher education, and checked with NCATE. This is no University of Phoenix, and I didn't make this decision lightly.
Moving on. I will be making short lists, maybe ten to twenty reasons why going to school online is, as I stated, splendid.
List #1
a. I eat popsicles while I watch little classroom sessions. I can also pet the dog, feed the baby, and/or knit. I even arranged flowers in vases while finishing a chapter yesterday.
b. I can take some assessments at home. Today was my first. The school sent me a webcam (built in mic). I set it up, and registered for a web assessor to proctor. I then had to take profile shots, and did some keystroke biometrics. I had to find a quiet corner, and set up the web camera at a 45 degree angle from the computer, so that my face, hands, keyboard and workspace were in view. When you log into the assessment, you are required to terminate all other windows and tabs that are open on your computer. No way to cheat from study notes, there. I was pretty impressed with the system. The proctor watches you take the test, measuring your keystrokes, observing for you to be looking away from the computer without need, and listening for any unusual sounds (which could indicate cheating). Interruptions of any kind result in the termination of the assessment, and you have to reschedule. I thought it was pretty nifty. Most assessments have to be taken at a test site, with a live proctor, but the simple DUH! classes have the option.
c. I can study whenever I want. I have all my learning resources at my fingertips, and there is no set time for my first semesters of classes...I have a completion date for the class but no 11 am to 2pm set time to have to be present. I can choose to watch the live presentation, or watch the recorded presentation later. If I only have time one day to work at 12 am, I can do that.
d. I can have a glass of wine or a beer while working through course work.
e. It isn't bad studying with a toddler beside you. Elijah is three, no longer naps, and comes to watch a presentation with me and then copies my "studying" while his sister is napping. He has a calculator and notebook and pencil to "study his school". I started working through Get Ready For the Code with him (it's a phonics workbook series) a little and sometimes he'll do that. He calls it "his study book". I've wanted to start going through some reading lessons with him but my book was borrowed and is missing so I am going to have to get it from the library.
There you go. Enjoy.
Forgive me.
3 comments:
Makes a LOT of sense to me. Online or brick and mortar... either way you can skate or get a good education, depends on what you put into it.
I think it's a great idea if you have a toddler. My mum took me to work with her and sat me beside the students who were all obliging with paper and pens but it's not something either students or lecturers can do nowadays. I'd do the distance learning thing myself with my theology course if I wasn't such a shameless schmoozer.
Mazl tov and good luck!
Thank you for the votes of confidence! With 4 kids, I didn't have a lot of options anyway, and I didn't want my littlest ones in daycare.
It's going well, and God willing that continues to be the case!
Post a Comment