I facebook. I do. Mostly posting (obnoxiously, I am sure) about my smarter, better-looking, higher-achieving kids. Now, all my posts about them may be biased, but, well, I fail at being humble in regards to my children. I think they're awesome and I am proud of them and want everyone to know it.
Back to facebook. Everyone lately with any sense has been posting their positions against BP, how horrible BP is and etc. I really think facebook should NEVER be used for the following three things: evangelizing, political posturing, and marital relations. Making everyone look at the pictures of every single cute thing your kid has ever done, ok. Asking for book recommendations, or sharing homeschool finds, ok. But those other three things? That's why facebook is stupid, because every person with an uninformed opinion uses it to try to share their "Jesus is my girlfriend" views, slander Sarah Palin and BP executives alike, or make syrupy-sweet statements about their love interests (usually TMI to the extreme).
However, even though griping about BP on facebook seems a pointless exercise to me, I saw a few recent comments I agreed with. One woman was posting an address, email and phone number of a BP exec for people to write or call in protest. A man responded to her "call to boycott and go to Kroger or Snucks' gas stations instead" by pointing out that the local Memphis refinery supplies BP stations as well as Kroger and the like. He admonished her to be mad about BP's moves all she wanted, but not to encourage people to do something useless.
The next day, people started "liking" a group titled, "Stop the oil spill by stuffing BP executives into the leaking pipe."
Now that's just funny.
No comments:
Post a Comment