Orthodox tradition tends to place some fence posts around emotion (not that it is not always present). But it is not placed in a supreme place (as is true in much of our culture). Emotions are part of the logismoi, the thought life that often plagues us. Sometimes it’s accurate, sometimes not. Sometimes helpful, sometimes not. Thus doctrine tends to drive most Orthodox music, as well as a traditional concern for “sobriety” though this is a hard thing to define. What I need (and most of us) is healing – of our thought life – of our emotional life- of the whole of our life – a healing that God alone can give. Thus the drive of all of our music is to unite ourselves to God. Not simply to be excited or emotional about God – but to unite to Him. This is different and takes some time, I think.
-a reply to comment on Glory to God
Fr. Stephen's thought that emotion is placed in a supreme place in much of our culture is very agreeable to me. I think also that emotion does not deserve a supreme place. The explanation of why that is true, relating to logismoi, was very helpful for my understanding. Pretty much what I was trying to say in this post, but far more eloquent.
No comments:
Post a Comment