21 December 2009

surety



"And he left there and went to the region of Judea and beyond the Jordan, and crowds gathered to him again; and again, as his custom was, he taught them." from the Gospel reading today.

Deep down, I ache for surety, for some ground of confidence. The one that is always living and breathing assurance, freely offered, is him that we call on as Emmanuel. O, come.

A friend of mine told me recently that she was (once again) astounded at the way God has revealed himself to us. I too cannot believe how anyone, upon hearing truth of the Incarnation, could not believe.

I don't know quite what other people think when they look up at an icon of the Pantocrator (which I recently looked up to find that it means "Almighty" or "All-powerful". In this understanding, Pantokrator is a compound word formed from the Greek words for "all" and the noun "strength") but I am humbled. How do you not acknowledge the awful state of your sinfulness; therefore at the same time the extent of the mercy of the Incarnation?

No comments: