Newly Anglican, my family and I have been discovering the rich beauty of our faith together. Recently, my husband and I became aware of a Catholic and Orthodox feast, that being the death and Assumption, or Dormition, of Mary.
This feast celebrates the death of the Mother of God, Mary, and also that her body and soul were assumed into heaven.
I accept this, heartily. After reading many blogs and wikipedia snippets, and after examining the biblical examples (i.e Revelations 12, Psalm 132), I can very well see why it is possible and very worthy of celebration.
I am not speaking of an ascension, but of an assumption. For anyone who isn't familiar with the history of this celebration (I had never heard of it, growing up unchurched and then having been barely dabbling in the Church) might at first balk. There is a general disgust in the evangelical Protestant world for the veneration of Mary, one that is widespread. I have heard too many, "They worship Mary when they should be worshipping Christ!" That's just, to be blunt, stupid. Anyone who would spend five minutes looking up Catholic or Orthodox veneration of Mary should, if they are at least slightly intelligent, understand that prayers "to" Mary are prayers asking the Holy Mother to intercede on our behalf. Her holiness is recognized, and venerated, but there is no worship involved, other than worship of her Son.
Real quick, to venerate means to be in awe of, to respect, to revere. I think anyone who would deny that Mary deserves veneration also denies that she was "the ark of thy strength" (Psalm 32).
If we can as Christians readily agree that it is a matter of divine revelation that Enoch, Elijah, and possible Moses were assumed into heaven by God, then why not agree that Mary was assumed as well? The mother of our Lord, who was holy, favored of God, was not held by the grave. She died, and then, bound by the Commandment "honor thy father and thy mother" given to all men (being both Man and God) Jesus honored her by not allowing her to decay. I read an argument on another blog that read, 'Christ would not see Enoch and Elijah assumed into Heaven and then allow His very own mother to rot. The woman that bore Him, nursed Him, and stood by Him during His passion and death on the cross.'
The blog I linked to above also stated, 'Christ ascended by His own power. But Mary was passively assumed into Heaven by Christ. His power accomplished the honor. And thus in Revelation, Mary as seen as being "in Heaven."
Amen. If anyone actually reads this, I welcome comments that might further my knowledge here, and bring me to a greater understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment