27 May 2009

Priest

We've recently moved to a new church, for many good and solid reasons, and are happy there. We're going through catechism, currently, and I am enjoying it. Our priest is slightly outspoken and decidedly passionate in his teaching, while staying true to the faith. Father Keith used to be a teacher so we've been given a fair amount of assignments and threatened with various forms of rigorous grading.

My sister (who would probably call herself agnostic if she was familiar with the term) recently visited and I attempted to explain catechism, and the following confirmation. She listened, and then commented how 'it was interesting but was it in the Bible that we had to do that?' I said, well, not exactly. She replied, 'I see, it's church tradition'. But to me, it's not just tradition. It's an intelligent expression of faith, a requirement of being members of the Body, a receiving of a very important succession, and an occasion to swear further devotion to Christ as Lord and Master. I probably should have tried to explain the strengthening gifts...

I'm going to listen to volunteer radio now and dance my infant daughter around the room, reminiscent of the poem I posted about a month ago.

1 comment:

Joe said...

You are soooo smart I wish I could write like you!!!!!! And you are pretty too!!!!!!!!!