15 March 2009

Self

I got to thinking today about all the things we do to preserve our lives. We take many precautions, and are constantly on the lookout for new ways to make our lives safer, better, and longer. Self preservation is instinctual. We want easier lives, too. I even bought Steamfresh veggies to cut down cooking time and lessen cleanup. Because cleaning a pan you steamed veggies in is really tough work. But in defense they were on sale at Snucks, 10 for 10. That's really not bad at all.



You'll have to get used to my knack for meandering off subject randomly.



Anyways, let's talk about our Saviour. I heard a homily yesterday about making Him greater and ourselves lesser. Where does that fall into self-perservation? How much of a Christian's dedication is to self preservation (because who wants to end up in hell)? What deep seated reasons do I have for being a follower of the Most High? I suppose in the end I want God to see in me a clean heart, one that loves Him and His kingdom more than I love myself and this world. Striving for that end, I know I'll be saying the sinner's prayer more times than can be counted. I'll spend time concerned with my livelihood, my health, my needs, my wants.

The Jesus I see in the Bible didn't dwell on self preservation. His needs and wants were the last thing on His mind. The Jesus that died for all of mankind did not try to make His time here easier. In fact, everything He did in His life drew him closer to a terrible death. From His ministry and great sermons down to simple every day things like eating and breathing and sleeping, Jesus continually drew closer to an expected end. He wasn't going to live a long life. In the eyes of the world, His life was largely unsuccessful. Every step forward He took, doing his Father's will, took Him deeper into a destiny of being hated, denied, and crucified.

I know I am a weak and awful sinner when I think about Christ and what He did, knowingly, for me. For you. The only man who has ever and will ever spend every morning of a short life resolved to die for an unappreciative people is the Son of God. No mere man would have spent so long and fought so hard, only God would do that. Only He is capable of such sacrifice, such selflessness.

Before I was a Christian, I thought it was suicide. Now, I know it was genocide, a systematic extermination of a race of sinners. What died was sin, what lived was light and life. Sin is still dying, and light is still living. Again, and again, and again, saying be holy, as your Father in heaven is holy. Thanks be to God.

No comments: