27 August 2011

liquid bread

I'm not pregnant anymore. It's a little bittersweet, as I have quite healthy and easy pregnancies. You do miss having a little one wiggling in your tummy, it is quite an experience. And the fact that they were very safe and warm in there and now they're out in the world exposed to all sorts of things is a tad unsettling...but my son is healthy and happy. Oh, and he's really, really adorable. 


Anyway, I can drink a little again, without worrying what trimester it is or only being able to have one drink, or not having any drinks because I am worried about stalling labor. Beer is actually very helpful for nursing mothers. Like I needed an excuse. 


So my love affair with Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout is back on. And it's beautiful. I also saw a Sam's Nut Brown Ale at Kroger that I need to try soon. I've also enjoyed some great New Glarus coffee stout, a lovely pinot grigio, a Guiness Stout, and Yuengling, among others. I don't know how some people don't have at least the occasional drink. I know some that don't because they were exposed to alcoholism and are trying to avoid it, or something like that. My father was a big alcoholic for many years (quite frankly he drank cheap, cheap beer which is a travesty), and so are many of my aunts, uncles, and my grandfather on my dad's side. My sister and I have had a few times when we drank too much when we were a little younger, but I also considered myself a "straight-edger" (with much less punk music than is mandatory) for a few years. She doesn't drink anything but girly wine anymore, and I hassle her about this as is necessary. Drinking good stuff moderately-and even occasionally a little irresponsibly-is an experience I consider a finer part of my life. 


...come on, it's just beautiful. 


This beer is very dark, slightly-sweet with a pleasant fizziness. It's called oatmeal stout because -- yes, you guessed it -- it's brewed with a little oatmeal, in addition to dark-roasted barley. You could almost have it with breakfast. I promise I haven't considered it...

2 comments:

David T said...

This post makes me happy on many levels, one of which being the fact that the most recent homebrew experiment was, in fact, an oatmeal stout. I look forward to sharing some with y'all this fall.

discourse said...

Ghost River's oatmeal stout is great, too. Looking forward to your version!